[Gambas-user] A "statusbar" control

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Wed Jan 8 08:55:13 CET 2014

I have had some joy over the last few days doing this from scratch using
the gb.form.mdi ToolBar as the base control. It's still a long way from
"the answer" and also a long way from being a fully developed IDE
useable control. but I thought you may like to see the progress so far.

I mocked up a prototype in the test form using just native controls to
act as a guide for what I wanted.  Then started creating the actual
"Real" custom control.  There are still a lot of things that need
attention, the least of which is using the ToolBar as a base.
Unfortunately, I do not have time at the moment to start converting it
to use a drawing whatsit and thus eliminate the reliance on gb.form.mdi,
but I have got the "number of sub-panels" thing worked out to the extent
that adding new panels can be done on the fly, removing them is a bit of
a different fish though. So I've limited the removals to only those that
are added at runtime. The design ones must stay there.
The automatic layout is sort- of OK. I am still fighting with the
padding necessary to make the variable length text work properly.
User interaction is still far in the future, but the "biggie" went away
by itself as the sub-panel controls are addressable (although not as
simply as I'd like) from the main form.

Things that arose in the development were: I want to have non-"text"
items in the bar.  This turned out to be easy, so now we have "Text"
sub-panels (a Label), "Icon" sub-panels (a pictureBox) and "Progress"
sub-panels (a progressBar).

Anyway, have a look. As always, any suggestions or criticisms gratefully
received.

regards
Bruce

(p.s. resent, I forgot to remove a large doco file)