[Gambas-user] Accessing Project Data in a Text File

Louis W. Adams, Jr. LouisWAdamsJr at ...3300...
Mon Feb 10 07:06:08 CET 2014

> Are you talking about your project at design time in the IDE or when your
> project runs, i.e. do you want to look at the file or does your program
> need
> it at run time? I guess the second but it's not clear to me...

I added my data file (a text file) to the Data section of the project during
design time because that's what I thought the Data section was for.  What is
the purpose of associating a data file containing numerical information with
a project by putting it on the list?  It sounds like I must access the data
in exactly the same way whether or not the file is listed, by processing the
file resident in the filing system.  So why don't I just leave it out of the
project?  What's the point of listing it?  Why list anything in the Data
section of a GAMBAS project?  Is the only purpose to make sure listed files
are included in a source archive or an installation package for the project?
By adding a tab in the IDE with the data parsed and displayed, it looks like
it has the same status as the form and class tabs (that is, it contains
information resident in the project).  But I guess not.

I'm a GAMBAS beginner, so please be patient with my questions.  I'm still
learning.  I can't find an answer to this question in documentation or books
that I've checked.  In fact, I can't find anything written anywhere that
explains the purpose of the Data section of a project in the GAMBAS IDE.

Lou