[Gambas-user] sound in gambas 3

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at ...3298...
Sat Feb 8 19:41:05 CET 2014

Le Sat, 08 Feb 2014 03:33:34 +0100,
Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...> a écrit :

> Le 08/02/2014 02:04, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> > Le 08/02/2014 01:24, Dominique Michel a écrit :
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I try to do my first gambas program, and I am stuck with the sound.
> >>
> >> All I have for now is 2 labels, 2 value boxes and 1 toggle button.
> >>
> >> When I press the toggle button, it launch a message box with the 2
> >> values in the value boxes and some text. 1 is a frequency, the
> >> other is the amplitude. I want to use these values to make some
> >> sounds.
> >>
> >> When looking for sound functions, I found Play in sdl.sound. Is it
> >> possible with it, or with another function, to use something like:
> >>
> >> Play frequency volume
> >>
> >> Another way would be to create an audio file on the fly...
> >>
> >> Dominique
> >>

> > You must use gb.media, which is the interface to gstreamer.
> > GStreamer has a plugin for generating sinusoidal sounds (its name is
> > "audiotestsrc", look at the GStreamer documentation for the
> > details).
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> I made an example of that for you in revision #6140.

Thanks a lot! I see it is possible to use the other properties like
wave for the waveform. Gambas is amazing and very powerful.

When modifying the volume control to have the label in dB, I see that a
formula like

	SetFreq(Exp(Log(20) + (Log(20000) - Log(20)) *
	sldFrequency1.Value / 1000))

doesn't give an error when sldFrequency = 0, but a formula like

	 lblVolume1.Text = Format((20 * Log10(fVol / 1000)), "0.00") &
	 " dB"

give an error when fVol = 0. I don't understand why it work in the
first case but not in the second case.

Best Regards,

Dominique