[Gambas-user] R: morse code sound ?

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Sat Feb 8 08:55:37 CET 2014

I got 5F here. Looking forward to a possible 30F next week.

True the old BASIC machines used the internal speakers, and those are hard
to find. But almost every *nix box has a sound system. And we no-longer
need to count clock cycles, we can use the the built-in timing routines or
delay routines. The Sound and Play function where blocking functions. No
need for anything fancy. But I do think adding a simple Play freq.,
duration function would be a great addition to the language and would make
it more complete. For anything more elaborate there is Sdl and such.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Bruce <bbruen at ...2308...> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 18:15 -0800, Randall Morgan wrote:
> > It seems like playing a simple tone is something that should be a
> primitive
> > in the Gambas Language... A simple Play(frequency, duration) type of
> > function as was found in many of the early BASIC languages. Am I the only
> > one who think like this?
> >

> Ah yes! But those magical sounds were made by dividing the clock signal
> and sending the resultant wave directly out to the onboard speaker port.
> I dont think any of the boxes here have a onboard speaker any more?
>
> "Leisure Suit Larry" anyone?
>
> cheers
> Bruce
>
> p.s. It's cooled down a bit, only 42C today

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?