[Gambas-user] Solving the Gambas packaging problem psychologically (!)

Fernando Martins fernando at ...3175...
Mon Feb 3 18:46:49 CET 2014

On 01/10/2014 09:21 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 08:50 +0100, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:

>>> I haven't checked it myself but your idea might not be so far fetched :)
>>> I have not seen the latest versions of bitmap editors in Linux, but all
>>> of those I have checked a couple of years ago, I always missed some
>>> critical feature when compared to good old MS Paint Brush!! That's how
>>> low my standard was. Amazing and very frustrating. My uses were actually
>>> quite simple: grab some screenshot with PrtScn (or Alt+PrtScn), paste
>>> into MS PB, do some basic image manipulation, but including pixel level
>>> manipulation with a zoom, add some text, and then use it in a
>>> presentation or the web. I remember the only feature I missed in PB was
>>> to set the transparency color and some file format.
>>>
>>> Plenty of Linux bitmap editors would fail on the clipboard requirement.
>>> Others in the zoom, or the text, IIRC. The only one that worked decently
>>> was the very old x-paint (IIRC the name) a pure X app, ugly as it could
>>> be but solid and fairly deep stuff. (gimp was not for me)
>>>
>>> Fernando
>>>
>> A few minutes ago, I wanted to do just the thing you mentioned (take a
>> web graphic / screenshot, draw some lines, add a few comments, and put
>> it back into a forum article). Gimp is way too sophisticated to do such
>> things quick-and-dirty, and I didn't know what to use else. So: 100 % agree.
>>
>> On my distro, some mtPaint has been installed (and I hadn't even noticed
>> yet). It seems it's older stuff, so it might have come in together with
>> KDE3 (although it's GTK+). If you can find it, take a look at it. Or I
>> could make a screenshot... It offers a lot of functions via the menues,
>> much too many in my opinion. But it was delevoped to work on icon
>> bitmaps, according to the impressum text.
>>
>> Anyway, its functions would mark the limit for me in such a tool. At a
>> first glance, I would change the toolbars to a "minimum necessary" and a
>> "show it all" version to not scare away beginners. And one might add a
>> customizing function that allows icons/functions to swap between the two
>> modes for usability.
>>
>> What I wanted to say is, the more I keep thinking about it, the more I
>> begin to like this idea.
>>
>> Rolf
>>
> Rolf,
> Not trying to kill any good ideas at all, but given what you said have
> you ever had a look at "Shutter"? Here's a sample, it took about 30
> seconds.

For the record, I just tried Shutter and it does not allow image
editing, e.g., selecting an area and moving it to another place, fill
inside an _existing_ region

Fernando