[Gambas-user] Where are the examples?

rolf rolf.frogs at ...221...
Tue Dec 16 18:10:22 CET 2014

Hallo Tobias

> Yes, that's what the commit log tells you:
>
> Revision: 6721
> -----------
> [CONFIGURATION]
> * NEW: Examples are not installed anymore and were removed. They will be
>   stored in the Gambas farm server.
>
> [DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT]
> * NEW: Remove the examples from the welcome dialog, the open project dialog
>   and the 'File' menu.
>
> Revision: 6724
> -----------
> [EXAMPLES]
> * NEW: Put the old examples in '/trunk/app/examples'.
>
> You read the commit logs, right? Because you are compiling an (unstable)
> development version during a period of heavy changes.

I often compiled gambas from trunk and usually don't read the commit logs and
most of the time everything was ok.

And, as you could read in the previous mails, I found the examples - but not
in the software farm.

> > BTW why must the directory ".local" be hidden??? I see no reason. Why can
> > the directory not be choosen by the user or taken from an environment
> > variable?
>
> If you look at the source code:
>
> --8<-- [ app/src/gambas3/.src/Project/Farm/CSoftware.class
> ]---------------- 165 Public Sub GetInstalledDir() As String
> 166
> 167   Return Desktop.DataDir &/ "gambas3/src" &/ LCase(Vendor) &/ Name
> 168
> 169 End
> --8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>-
>
> The installation directory is chosen as Desktop.DataDir which, per docs[0]
> of the Desktop class (gb.desktop), mirrors the environment variable
> $XDG_DATA_HOME. This is per freedesktop standard[1] the place to put
> "user-specific data files". Software downloaded from a farm is not to be
> seen as just projects anymore, they mean something to the IDE, too. That
> means they constitute a database of "installed software", _maintained_ via
> the IDE and in this regard, it makes sense to put them into $XDG_DATA_HOME.

It is ok, if the _database_ is stored in that directory, but the executable
files and/or source code should not stay hidden - for a normal user it is
extremly difficult to start a loaded programm. Nobody searches programs
(usually only configuration data) in hidden directories.

> As was shortly brought to attention in this thread[2] -- alas without being
> resolved -- I would also opt for a configurable target directory, although
> I don't feel strongly about that because I'll certainly employ a bookmark
> either way.

Regards
Rolf