[Gambas-user] New features on the wiki

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Mon Dec 8 20:04:39 CET 2014

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014, Beno?t Minisini wrote:

> >> Maybe I should rewrite it in Gambas. At this time it's 5 programs (in 4
> >> different languages!) piping into one another. The first four preprocess
> >> the C/C++ comments and the last is a really hackish C program which takes
> >> these help lines and merges them to the right place in a given .info file.
> >> When I wrote these, I was all about (development) speed. It may be cool to
> >> have all that in one program (and one language only).
> >>
> >> The above format (and an extra file for it!) would be really good because
> >> that's information the program can gather from the C/C++ source files alone.
> >> No need to mess with the .info files then.
> >>
> >> Weekend...
> >>

> > Of course I meant this weekend, not the one 3 weeks ago...
> >
> > The scripts are in the c2help directory in the source tree root since #6712.
> > Try them on gb.openssl:
> >
> >    $ c2help/c2help.sh gb.openssl 2>/dev/null
> >    #Digest
> >    List
> >    ' Return a list of all digests present in the local OpenSSL crypto library.
> >    _get
> >    ' Return a virtual object representing a digest algorithm by giving its
> >    ' name. Valid names can be looked up from Digest.List.
> >    IsSupported
> >    ' Check whether the named digest algorithm is valid.
> >    #.Digest.Method
> >    Hash
> >    ' Hash the given string using this digest algorithm.
> >    _call
> >    ' A synonym for Hash.
> >    #Cipher
> >    List
> >    ' Return a list of all ciphers present in the local OpenSSL crypto library.
> >    [...]
> >
> > One script is a gbs3 one, so all that needs to take place at "make install",
> > as you said. Apart from that I need bash (with read and exit builtins), gawk,
> > grep, sed and the coreutils (cat, tr and echo) -- to give an extensive list.
> > Shouldn't be too exotic. But in case someone doesn't have egrep, sed or gawk,
> > the help generation stage should be omitted since it's optional. I see no
> > need to reduce the dependencies on my side.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> The way you did is not really useful. You should have written a pure
> Gambas program with no dependencies, so that it can be run at "make
> install" stage automatically.
>
> You have introduce many dependencies, which means a lot of problems if
> in the future Gambas is ported on a non-GNU system (Android, for example).

I didn't know; I committed the scripts I had lying around for a year or so,
just replaced the program that merged help comments into .info files with
the script that outputs .help files.

To reinvent the gawk- and sed-wheels should be the complicated part here but
it doesn't seem to be too hard...

> Moreover, /trunk is not the location for a compilation tool. You should
> have put it in /trunk/app/src for example.

I will do that on my next commit, when the thing will become a single
script.

Regards,
Tobi