[Gambas-user] String[].Extract not behaving as expected

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Thu Dec 4 01:41:15 CET 2014

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb/string[]/extract says:

[edited-quote]
Function Extract (Start As Integer [, Length As Integer ]) As String[]

If Length is negative, then Length elements counting backwards from the
specified Start are removed.
[/edited-quote]

But this does not appear to be the manner in which it behaves. (I am
also unsure what "counting backwards" means. Would that be toward the
beginning or the end of the array?)

Public Sub Main()
   Dim myStrings As String[] = ["s1", "s2", "s3", "s4", "s5", "s6", "s7"]
   Dim sString As String

   myStrings = myStrings.Extract(2, -1)
   Print "Number of extracted elements: " & myStrings.Count
   For Each sString In myStrings
     Print sString
   Next
End

produces:
Number of extracted elements: 5
s3
s4
s5
s6
s7

Obviously, "myStrings.Extract(2, -1)" extracted all elements from the
specified Start to the end of the array, not just one element from the
specified Start.

"myStrings.Extract(2, -2)" gives an "Out of bounds" error.

So, I guess my question should be, what is the intended behavior?

--
Lee