[Gambas-user] An utility component for Gambas

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at ...626...
Mon Dec 1 19:11:10 CET 2014

On 12/01/2014 08:48 AM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to create a 'gb.util' component, written in Gambas, to collect
> useful non-GUI programming routines that can't go directly into the
> interpreter because it would make it too heavy.
>
> [snip]
>
> The difficulty will be to find the best interface (class name, method
> name, where to put it) for that.
>
> For example, for the removing accents method, I extended the String
> class. Logical... For directory methods, I created a new Shell static
> class...
>
> [snip]

I'm not sure if you are asking for thoughts on miscellaneous functions
to put in a gb.Util component or thoughts on useful extensions to
existing classes, or both. But...

A. Format decimal numbers as octal:
Public Sub Format(iDecimal as Integer) as String
   Dim digit as Byte
   Dim out as String
   While (iDecimal > 0)
	  digit = iDecimal % 8
	  iDecimal /= 8
	  out = digit & out
   Wend
   Return out
End

B. It would be nice to be able to work with *nix-native timestamps.
Perhaps this might be relatively easily accomplished by just a couple
functions:
1. DateToTimestamp(dDate as Date) as Integer
2. TimestampToDate(iTimestamp as Integer) as Date
Format$ should be able to take over from there.

--
Lee