[Gambas-user] gb.Chart capabilities

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Fri Sep 27 05:31:44 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 17:51 -0700, Randall Morgan wrote:
> Yes, but charting can also be used for plotting a course for sailing or
> flying... As in charting a course.
>

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Fernando Martins <fernando at ...3175...>wrote:
>
> > well, it also means charting :)
> >
> > https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+graph
> >
> > /"verb/
> > verb: *graph*; 3rd person present: *graphs*; past tense: *graphed*; past
> > participle: *graphed*; gerund or present participle: *graphing*
> > *1*.
> > plot or trace on a graph."
> >

> > On 09/24/2013 07:50 PM, Fabien Bodard wrote:
> > > Ok ok its a french error... We name that a "graphique" in French. :-D

> > and

> > be
> > suggest
> > datatype.

In fact (my 2 cents) I would tend to use "chart" as the overall largest
object.  You could plot a course from (say) Normandy to Hastings on a
nautical chart but you could also plot a set of isobars on a map of your
local area and produce a "weather chart", plot a set of dance steps on
paper to produce a choreographic chart, etc.

My vision would be a chart is a single graphical output from the
underlying engine. On that would be one or more plots that depict a
certain set of data.

Certainly, "graph" has a particular mathematical meaning (nodes and
edges) that could have conflicts as abstract data types. I agree with
Tobi that it would be better to avoid it.

Nautically, a chart is a single instance of "a piece of paper" with
certain attributes like a title, a set of co-ordinates, some "pretty"
features, an identity etc that you use locally to plot a course or
something.  Also, although I'm linguistically challenged I believe that
"chart" and "plot" have fairly parallel translations - Carte,
Kart?,sjökort etc and tracer, plotten, plotta etc  whereas "graph" tends
to translate more generically as a "picture" - graphique, Grafik, graf
etc.

Bruce