[Gambas-user] Gambas self-extracting installer (4)

Kende Krisztián nemh at ...2007...
Sun Oct 27 22:16:16 CET 2013

> Le 27/10/2013 18:33, Kende Krisztián a écrit :
>> My Gambas application requires root privileges. So if the user doesn't
>> trust the installer, then the hell ate the whole thing. :D
>>
>> If you want to install an application on Linux system, you will need
>> root access. This is quite natural. Therefore, we use a controlled
>> repository. But true, the PPA's are not controlled, just open source.
>> But do not ask, wait for root privileges.
>>
>> Or installer and installed program can be it completely portable. User
>> do not need to be root. But this is not natural on Linux system. These
>> applications size are too big.
>>
>> What happens if compatible packages are not available in repository (or
>> anywhere)? Example, my app created in Gambas 3.5, but only available
>> version 3.4 or older.
>> How to upgrade an existing installation?
>> How to completely remove installed applications?
>>
> Good questions. This has to be thought. :-)

And what if you create a new installer component (gambas3-installer)? No
self-installing files, only archived gambas source files with specific
extension (compressed binary with bash header). If click on the file, it
opens in the global installer (or you can browse in the installer). If
gambas3-installer is not installed, it will give an error message. This
installer compiling source and install files in user dir (like Steam).
If any dependency is missing, tells you what you need to install.
This installer could be uninstaller too with database of installed
applications (~/.config/gambas3/database_file).

What do you think? Well, it would solve a number of questions, is not
it? You can fine-tune it. :-)