[Gambas-user] Gambas self-extracting installer (2)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 26 22:35:32 CEST 2013

Here:

http://gambas.sf.net/install/gambas3-installer-test.run

You can download a self-extracting test installer.

It will install nothing, but display a window that should show the
current desktop and the system distribution.

Can people test it on system having no KDE desktop at all?

It only provides a x86_64 installer. Can people test it on x86 system to
see if they get the "unsupported architecture" error message on the
command line?

The goal is to replace this test window by a full installer that will:

1) Install the required binary package according to the detected
distribution.

-> That means I have to know the command to install a binary package for
each distribution.

-> That means I have to know if I have to use sudo (Ubuntu...) or su
(Mandriva...).

-> It will be possible to install the needed GUI components according to
the desktop in use.

-> It will be possible to install extra packages repositories (for
example, Ubuntu PPA for Gambas) if needed, or asked by the user.

-> ...and all you can imagine useful.

Of course, if all required binary packages are already installed, no
root password and nothing else will be asked the user.

2) Install the Gambas program locally (in the user directory) or
globally (in /usr/bin).

3) Install the menu icon, the mime types, and all you find useful.

Nothing is done, so please give your comments, ideas, and all the
information I need about the different distributions (RedHat, Debian,
ArchLinux, Mandriva...)

Benoît Minisini