[Gambas-user] Gambas self-extracting installer

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 26 17:57:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have just started to make a Gambas self-extracting installer in Gambas.

I will write it in two stages.

The first stage is a command-line program that will detect the current
distribution, and automatically install a GUI component according to it,
so that the second stage can be run.

The second stage will be the graphical installation program by itself.
It will install all the needed binary packages, according to the current
distribution and the Gambas project requirements.

The first problem I encounter is the gambas runtime.

Either I require it to be already install on the system, the installer
may become less useful then.

Either I put the runtime inside the installer, running it by
manipulating the environmental variables. But then I should put one
runtime for each architecture (x86, x86_64, ARM), and I can generate
only one architecture from a specific system.

Note that in both cases, I suppose that all system libraries needed by
the Gambas interpreter are already installed.

For the x86_64 architecture, these are:
- linux-vdso.so.1
- libm.so.6
- libdl.so.2
- libpthread.so.0
- libffi.so.6
- libc.so.6
- /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Except maybe for libffi.so.6, everything should be already installed,
otherwise the system is not functional.

What do you think about that? Which path should I follow?

--
Benoît Minisini