[Gambas-user] Specifications for Gambas 3

Kende Krisztián nemh at ...2007...
Fri Oct 25 07:56:55 CEST 2013

> Le 23/10/2013 14:15, Kende Krisztián a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > I have read the "How To Package Gambas" document
> > (http://www.gambasdoc.org/help/howto/package?v3#t2) and some things
> > I do not understand:
> >
> > The runtime package contain the gb.gui component, but
> > gambas3-runtime is not depend from gambas3-gb-gtk or
> > gambas3-gb-qt4. Gb.gui does not work without them.
>
> I guess with "is not depend from", you mean "does not depend on"?

Yes, my English is not the best. Sorry.

> Logically, you are right. 'gb.gui' without 'gb.gtk' OR 'gb.qt4' is
> not really useful.
>
> But actually, you can run then 'gb.gui' component without nothing
> else. You would get a Gambas error, but not an error of the dynamic
> loader.

You misunderstand. My gambas3-gb-runtime package doesn't contain the
gb.gui and gb.gui.opengl components. If I create a Gambas application
without GUI, not load unnecessary components. But gb.gui component is
depend from gb.gtk and gb.qt4.
And if I follow the spec, then I have the opportunity to create a
gambas application that works on my KDE desktop, but did not work on
GNOME. Because IDE is use the gb.qt4 component, my app is use gb.gui,
but gb.gtk doesn't installed.

> Remember that the main point of having all these packages is
> preventing the user from installing something he doesn't need:
> forcing to install 'gb.gtk' or 'gt.qt4' just because you need the
> Gambas runtime would carry megabytes of shared libraries!

No, I'm not forcing anyone!

> > Gambas3-ide package is depend from gambas3-gb-form, but is not from
> > gambas3-gb-form-stock. Gambas3.gambas is not work without
> > gb.form.stock component.
>
> Actually 'gb.form' can work without 'gb.form.stock', as soon as you
> don't use the standard built-in icon theme that is located in the
> gb.form.stock component.

You misunderstand. The IDE not work without gb.form.stock component. So
if I follow the spec, do not start the gambas3.gambas.

> > Gambas3-gb-desktop-gnome package is depend from gambas3-gb-desktop,
> > but vice versa is not true (in other words, the previous contents
> > are not part of the latter). If use gb.desktop component on GNOME
> > desktop, the following error message comes up: Cannot load component
> > 'gb.desktop.gnome': cannot find component
>
> Same logic: actually 'gb.desktop' can run without 'gb.desktop.gnome'.
> 'gb.desktop.gnome' relies on a gnome desktop component that may carry
> most part of the Gnome installation if you have a dependency, even if
> you don't use it.
>
> I don't know if you can make an optional dependency that would
> install only if a specific desktop is in use, and if it is possible
> in all distributions... If you can, just tell me. Otherwise, you must
> not create a dependency.

If I create a Gambas application with gb.desktop component on KDE, and
if I package it, this app maybe doesn't work on GNOME. Are you sure
that is how it should work?
I understand, the lib is use some RAM, but it's dependency. The
gb.desktop component maybe not work without gb.desktop.gnome on other
desktop.

> > I do not fully follow this specifications.
>
> You should really, otherwise you will force people to install
> libraries they don't really need (imagine you need gambas on an
> embedded system without gui, i.e. you just need the runtime. You
> don't want all the GUI stuff).

Yeah, this right and I follow it if possible.