[Gambas-user] "wrapping" function based on recent Mod thread

Wed Oct 9 22:14:25 CEST 2013

On 10/09/2013 01:46 PM, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> Are you using SDL, OpenGL?
>
> What is the map size?
>
> How many lines of code?
> Run this on your project folder to know:
> find . -name '*.class' -o -name '*.module' | xargs wc -l
>
> I have also written some game (RPG), but it seems I really don't have time
> for it.
> Maybe some day. Also I have big problems that I'm never quite satisfied to
> current features and the plans keep on "floating".
> So I end up to rewriting stuff a lot.
>
> Jussi

I'm using SDL for window management and audio (will be migrating to
openal in the future) and OpenGL for most of the 2D and 3D stuff. There
are some software image operations (DrawAlpha, etc.) that feed some of
the OpenGL textures as well.

Littoral (the world generator) allows the map size to be specified in
powers of two with a maximum size of 65536x65536 tiles at a one foot
resolution, or 12.4x12.4 miles. The final map size will probably only be
8192^2 or 16384^2 for various reasons.

That's a nifty little script there...will save that one, thanks. Here's
what I get for the client/server project:

    2392 ./.src/Client.module
     820 ./.src/AI.module
     480 ./.src/Craft.module
    1663 ./.src/Tiles.module
    2662 ./.src/Player.module
    2191 ./.src/Server.module
    1240 ./.src/Network.module
    1832 ./.src/Fauna.module
    1069 ./.src/PWO.module
      19 ./.src/Console.module
     171 ./.src/Gear.module
     640 ./.src/Audio.module
     745 ./.src/Wisp.module
    1376 ./.src/Block.module
    9624 ./.src/Render.module
     395 ./.src/Calculate.module
   27319 total

PWO's (the PWO module) are "persistent world objects", which are things
like trees, rocks, fallen branches, seashells, weapons, etc.

For Littoral I get:

    410 ./.src/Fauna.module
    440 ./.src/PWO.module
    454 ./.src/FormMain.class
    502 ./.src/Elevation.module
    424 ./.src/Preview.module
     14 ./.src/FormFileChooser.class
     72 ./.src/TempFile.module
    387 ./.src/Tile.module
     64 ./.src/Calculate.module
   2767 total

So 30086 lines of code, holy shit. ;)

The secret to getting a project done, at least for me, hinges on 1)
having an initial design document that's neither too vague nor too
specific which governs the scope of the project and 2) absolutely
dedicating yourself to seeing it through to the end, no matter how hard
it may be at times or how long it may take.

GAMBAS is an awesome language for games; easy to learn but very
powerful. If your project's runnable I'd like to see it.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues