[Gambas-user] rev5866 build error

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Wed Oct 2 10:51:05 CEST 2013

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013, paulwheeler wrote:
> While looking at the gedit process problem that Ru and Jussi are
> discussing, I decided to checkout 5866.
>
> Unfortunately, when doing ./configure -C it has several errors:
> checking for libintl headers... ./configure: line 17062: cd:
> /home/Paul/Gambas: No such file or directory

What could help is sending the configure script or at least telling us which
configure script generates these lines so that we could make a fuzzy guess.

> Do we need to add the fact that there must be a Gambas directory already
> created before the configure will work?
>
> I usually do not checkout Gambas using SVN, so I follow the "How To Deal
> With Subversion" instructions exactly. There is nothing about needing to
> have that directory. Is this something that should be added to the docs?

Definitely not. You're the first (since I read the list and can remember
back) to report such an error.

> I fixed the directory problem, but still have these:
>
> 1.
> checking for libintl libraries... no
> configure: WARNING: Unable to find file: libintl.so
> configure: WARNING: This library may be located inside the system C library
>
> According to the Ubuntu packages page (see address below), the only
> libintl.so file is:
> /usr/lib/preloadable_libintl.so  which is in this package: gettext
>
> gettext and gettext-base are both installed.

You should trust the warning message. On all setups that I've seen (which
are not much, though), the glibc includes intl.

> AND
>
> 2.
> checking for libiconv libraries... no
> configure: WARNING: Unable to find file: libiconv.so
>
> According to the Ubuntu packages page (see address below), the only
> libiconv files are:
> /usr/lib/libiconv_hook.so.1  and  /usr/lib/libiconv_hook.so.1.0.0
> which are in this package: libiconv-hook1
>
> and
> /usr/lib/libiconv_hook.so    which is in this package: libiconv-hook-dev
>
> They are not installed on my system.
>
> This is what Synaptic says about them:
> libiconv-hook1   extension of iconv for libapache-mod-encoding
> libiconv-hook-dev   header files of libiconv-hook

_My_ ./configure also tells me that libiconv.so could be in libc, too. Maybe
you didn't notice this line? It applies the same as above: Trust the warning
message until you get an *error*.

> AND
>
> 3.
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile.in'
> configure: error: ./configure failed for main

Makefile.in is generated by ./reconf. It would be best to follow [0] for
reporting bugs.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambasdoc.org/help/doc/report?v3