[Gambas-user] Web apps

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Nov 29 22:57:09 CET 2013

Le 29/11/2013 21:39, John Rose a écrit :
> I have a rather naive question. I presume that Gambas would also be good
> for developing client-server apps e.g. with a database resident on a
> server. Can Gambas be used to develop web apps i.e. where all the logic
> is on the server?

As I have already said before, I earn my life with a web application
entirely made with Gambas. So I will say yes.

To create a Gambas web application in a few words:

- Create a project that uses the gb.web component.

- Your project will create an executable that will be a CGI script. So
learn how to configure your web server so that it can run your gambas
executable as a CGI script.

- Each HTTP request will run your program as A CGI script, and you will
have to print the answer on the standard output.

- The Request class will give you the request sent by the client (either
GET or POST).

- The Response class will be used for forging the request answer. It
will send it on the standard output for you.

- The response can be buffered (i.e. sent only when you call the
Response.End method). If the response is buffered, it will be compressed
if the HTTP client asks for it.

- The Session class will be used if you need session management, i.e.
maintaining data associated with a user, everything being based on a cookie.

- You can debug your web application without a web server, by using the
"embedded HTTP server" debugging feature.

- Create your web pages with WebPage "forms" in the IDE. Their syntax is
like ASP pages, if you know them.

- Send the HTML of your pages with the WebPage.Render method.

- Put everything in your project (image, CSS, javascript files). The IDE
syntax highlighter handles CSS and javascript, as well as HTML and WebPage.

Benoît Minisini