[Gambas-user] A little article on Gambas on Phoronix

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Wed Nov 27 23:19:36 CET 2013

Well as does happen though-time, language changes. The terms used over time
tend to take on different meanings giving the society in which they are
used. One of the reasons communications can be so difficult....

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Rob Kudla
<sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...>wrote:

> On 11/27/2013 03:18 PM, Randall Morgan wrote:
> > When I think of mission critical, I think of things that could cost
> > someone's life if failure occurred. Things like, aircraft guidance
> systems,
> > embedded medical devices, automotive steering and breaking systems, rail
> > switching systems, etc.
>
> Those are actually a separate class, usually called "life-critical". A lot
> of proprietary software packages have EULAs that actually forbid their use
> in such applications. And while I don't know about Gambas, I've been aware
> of a frightening number of medical software packages with at least a VB
> interface, including my late partner's ICD's control software, complete
> with VBRUN600.dll (pretty sure the software in the ICD itself wasn't VB,
> but in non-implanted devices it might be -- and in any case, I'm betting it
> wasn't ADA).
>
> > You can argue that almost any software is mission
> > critical for it's mission.
>
> Nope, "mission-critical software" is a term of art that means "software
> critical to the operation of a business". For Amazon, a web server is
> mission-critical, as is whatever they use to handle fulfillment so quickly.
> For banks, there's the core system, teller interface and whatever other
> ancillary systems without which they can't open for business, written in
> languages that range from RPG to Javascript. For a recording studio, it's
> something like Protools or Ardour, especially once enough projects are in a
> given tool's format that switching would require days or weeks of work. And
> for Benoit's company, it's the software he wrote in Gambas.
>
> I once worked for a company whose most mission-critical software was a
> Lotus spreadsheet macro that they had overgrown, causing the data to
> overwrite the "code". Yes, really. They were dead in the water without it,
> sent everyone home, couldn't so much as access their customer list or open
> orders. I fixed it for them in a few days, converted it to a DBMS with a
> nice Turbo Pascal client, but it just goes to show that mission-critical
> software depends on what the business needs, not what's stable, secure or
> even sane.
>
> (No Z80 machines in my past except a Colecovision, but I had at least 5
> 6502-based ones... still really enjoy that flavor of assembly language,
> especially with modern macro assemblers.)
>
> Rob

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?