[Gambas-user] A little article on Gambas on Phoronix

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Nov 26 20:42:53 CET 2013

On 11/26/2013 01:57 PM, ukimiku wrote:
> I don't plan on programming "mission-critical" tasks anytime soon,
> anyhow :)

I have written mission-critical, shut-the-place-down-if-it-fails apps in
Gambas. They were for the companies that paid for them to be written, not
publicly released software, but they were mission-critical nonetheless.

I don't use Gambas much anymore, but anyone who says it's not for
professional use is simply massaging reality to fit his preconceived
notions. It's not as big as VB (which many would also say is not for
professional use, despite the enormous number of proprietary packages
written in it) because desktop Linux isn't as big as Windows. That's all.

On 11/26/2013 02:10 PM, Randall Morgan wrote:
> I remember a time when PHP and Python were both considered by many to
> be "toy" scripting languages

Oh, there are plenty of those people still around. Usually, they use a
different scripting language than the one they're maligning, or are
functional programming snobs, or ivory-tower CS jobs. Most people I've met
in IT are a little more technology-agnostic, though of course a lot of
Windows folks aren't too fond of Linux stuff and vice versa.

Rob