[Gambas-user] sge component and md2 file modeling software

Thu Nov 14 06:13:31 CET 2013

Using the example program as a reference I was able to successfully
render one of its included md2 models. If anyone needs a very spartan
starter tutorial, my basic code looks like this:

   ' Model array declared at beginning of Render module.
   Public Model[32768] As Md2Object

   ' Model loading procedure test (index 500 is arbitrary).
   Dim TempModel As Md2Model
   TempModel = Md2Model.Load(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.md2")
   TempModel.Texture = LoadTexture(BasePath & "/model/test/md2test.jpg")
   Model[500] = New Md2Object(TempModel)

   ' Render command after OpenGL matrix has been set.
   Model[500].Draw

I've been having a hell of a time finding decent modeling software that
can export to the md2 format, as it is very old (though quite nice for
my needs). I created an untextured cube in Misfit Model 3D (1.3.7, stock
Kubuntu 13.10 repo) and exported it to md2, but my code raises sig 11
when it tries to execute the Draw method.

Does anyone have any insight into what modeling applications exist that
can export to md2 format? I'd love to learn Blender, but all the md2
export scripts I found failed. I think they were designed for older
versions. Maybe I should look for an old Blender version...or contact
the Nexuiz team. Any advice is appreciated, and to whoever wrote the sge
component, thank you.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues