[Gambas-user] Unexecuted Orphan Code or Something?

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Tue Nov 5 05:29:32 CET 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-04 at 19:53 -0800, 2aq9j93b7s wrote:
> hello
>
> Note: In preview mode this looked like a mess with the html codes so I
> deleted them.
>
> It is a work in progress so I have been cutting, pasting and copying. Note
> the last line after the commented line - the orphan. The line above the
> commented code ends the return component. The last line neither displays nor
> generates an error. It appears to be an ignored orphan. Apparently I forgot
> to comment the last line out.
>
>   CASE 2
>      Return "Today" &
>              Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "dddd") &
>             ", the " &
>               Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "d") &
>               fuFormatSuffix(iTp1)
>               ' "Of" &
>              Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "mmmm, yyyy")
>   CASE 3
>
> This looks like
>                   Today,
>           Monday, the 15th
> on the screen (minus the html code.).
>
> I am sure that it is a bug but I don't know. My last upgrade caused me many
> problems with previously properly functioning code. Maybe this is something
> that the menu item /Clean/ did not catch.
>
> Anyone?

Here's how gambas sees your code
CASE 2
 Return "Today" & Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "dddd") &",
the " & Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "d")
fuFormatSuffix(iTp1) ' "Of" &
 Format(Date(Year(Now), Month(Now), iTp1), "mmmm, yyyy")

Paste that in a text editor to see it all exactly.

Now do you see why that last line is not executed.

hth
Bruce