[Gambas-user] gbc3-gb_error.o compiling rev #5670

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat May 25 15:33:18 CEST 2013

Le 25/05/2013 11:37, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> On Fri, 24 May 2013, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
>> Le 23/05/2013 14:23, Tobias Boege a ?crit :

>>> But when is this file regenerated? Only by configure, correct? This would
>>> mean that I have to issue a ./configure everytime I want the new correct
>>> version number from gbx3 which is less desirable, in my opinion, than
>>> changing a compiler flag.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tobi
>>>

>> You get a point there. But you must find a way to get the svn version
>> only when it changes. For example, we can imagine adding a special
>> makefile rule that computes the svn version and put it in its custom
>> header file. This rule will depend on the modification time of the
>> /trunk/.svn directory (if it is possible).
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Good idea. Actually I thought about that, too, but rejected it because a
> Makefile rule that depends on .svn will not work on non-repository sources,
> like:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `.svn', needed by `all'.  Stop.
>
> which is from a Makefile inside my home directory - not svn versioned.
>
> What I didn't think of was this workaround: have a .PHONY target that
> compares timestamps of .svn to the header's instead of letting make do it.
> We could catch the case that .svn doesn't exist:
>
> ---
> trunk_version.h: TRUNK_VERSION = $(shell LC_ALL=C svn info 2>/dev/null | grep Revision | egrep -wo "[0-9]+")
> trunk_version.h:
> 	@if test -d .svn -a .svn -nt trunk_version.h ; then             \
> 	echo -e "/* TRUNK version if available */\n#define TRUNK_VERSION\t$(TRUNK_VERSION)\n" >trunk_version.h; \
> 	fi
>
> .PHONY: trunk_version.h
> ---
>
> This worked in my home directory, i.e. did nothing but without complaint,
> and in trunk/ it created the trunk_version.h. Maybe ".svn" above should be
> prefixed with the path to the top-level Gambas directory?
>
> The lines are quite ugly. I couldn't find out how to use a here-document in
> a Makefile. Alas, I don't have time today to make it better.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

My solution is in r5677: I took yours and simplified it by removing what
I don't understand. :-)

It creates a void 'trunk_version.h' if there is no '.svn' directory.

All seems to work correctly, but I'm waiting for your opinion to be
sure! :-)

--
Benoît Minisini