[Gambas-user] Having multiple revisions of Gambas installed simultaneously

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Mar 2 23:58:50 CET 2013

Le 01/03/2013 15:18, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> we would like to have at least the stable version and trunk of Gambas
> installed on the same machine. It's no problem to ./configure --prefix=$DIR
> but I worry about the components... I looked around a bit in the sources and
> it seemed to me that all components are eventually loaded from under /usr
> (because of GAMBAS_LINK_PATH) which means that the components are from
> another version.
>
> Did I miss something? How could it be accomplished to have two revisions of
> Gambas right runnable one the same machine?
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

You can't easily have different major version of Gambas running on the
same system.

To find the Gambas installation directory, Gambas does something weird:
it looks at the path defined at compilation time, but if '/usr/bin/gbx3'
exists, it takes precedence. And if that '/usr/bin/gbx3' is a symbolic
link, that symbolic is followed.

Then "/usr/bin/env" is used for finding the interpreter inside Gambas
executable shebang.

So if you install two different Gambas in two different prefixs that are
*not* /usr, then you can switch between both by changing the
'/usr/bin/gbx3' symbolic link. But you can't have both running at the
same time!

--
Benoît Minisini