[Gambas-user] gnuplot ... any experienced users?

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Jun 11 10:06:09 CEST 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Bruce wrote:
> Rather than write a very lengthy post trying to describe a problem that
> I am having with embedding a gnuplot plot in a gambas panel I am just
> asking whether there are any people here that have some experience with
> gnuplot that I can converse with offline.
>
> (The problem is how to kill the gnuplot task when it is to be replaced
> by a new plot.)
>
> What the heck is all this about?
>
> gnuplot is a fairly wonderful thing that can create some fantastic
> plots.  Much more than is possible with the gambas gb.chart component.
> I have written a gambas application that pulls some data from a db,
> creates a gnuplot data file and a gnuplot script to generate a nice
> little time series plot using splines, in addition the script embeds the
> plot in a panel in my form automagically!  Specifically, the embedding
> is done by gnuplot, not by gambas. I just send it the X11 handle of the
> panel control.
>
> It all works 99.9% wonderfully, I just can't figure out how to fix that
> 0.1% which is ... when I want to generate a new plot using some
> different data how can I kill(?) the current gnuplot task that is
> generating/reacting to it's plot in the panel.
>
> Obscure? Yes.
>
> Any takers? ... please.

Hmm, we once had a gnuplot GUI online at [0] but it seems that it's being
reconstructed... Don't know if it supported what you asked for.

Anyway, I attached a program that lets you plot different functions on a
panel of your choice. Somewhere in this should be your solution, right?

- in case you want to switch the panel: re-"set terminal ..."
- in case you want to plot another function (or data file): re-"plot ..."

The difficult part IMHO is actually to find out how to redirect the plot to
an X11 handle :-)

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://www.gambas-buch.de/dw/doku.php?id=k21:k21.3:k21.3.6:start