[Gambas-user] The WebCam Examples crash

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sat Jun 1 18:14:45 CEST 2013

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
> Le 31/05/2013 20:37, Tobias Boege a ?crit :
> > On Fri, 31 May 2013, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Ford anyone could test if gb.media (the gstreamer component) can be used
> >> to deal with V4L2 devices?
> >>
> >> There are gstreamer plugins for that:
> >>
> >> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-plugin-video4linux2.html
> >>

> > This is what I did:
> >
> > - Install and load that v4l2loopback because I have no webcam (/dev/video0
> >    is created)
> > - Install gst-plugins-good (with the v4l2 gstreamer plugin; this caused
> >    minor confusion on Arch Linux because I installed the gstreamer-1.0
> >    packages instead of Gambas' 0.10 ones.)
> > - As per the wiki of v4l2loopback, execute:
> >    $ gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! v4l2sink device=/dev/video0
> >    which feeds /dev/video0 with sample data
> > - And execute:
> >    $ gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! xvimagesink
> >    which displays the stuff properly.
> >
> > But now I can't get the Gambas part to work because I don't understand how
> > these things work.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> I know how to do the last part, but please tell me exactly how to
> activate that *@#%! v4l2loopback device.
>
> I didn't succeed in compiling the module on Ubuntu 13.04 with the
> information available on the internet.

It's a kernel module so you need to have the kernel headers installed to
compile it:

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then clone the source code of v4l2loopback and install it:

$ git clone https://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback
$ cd v4l2loopback
$ make && sudo make install

should do the rest. To load the module, issue

$ sudo modprobe v4l2loopback

and /dev/video0 should be created.

Regards,
Tobi