[Gambas-user] Tobis "Blob" datatype (was "Hot to load and savbe ...")

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Jul 16 10:20:31 CEST 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 23:15 -0700, Randall Morgan wrote:
> Bruce,
> >
> > The blob data type is a binary object and is a MySQL data type. Not a
> > Gambas data type. It is used in a few other databases as well.
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Bruce <bbruen at ...2308...> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 22:11 +0200, Tobias Boege wrote:
> > > 8<

> > > btnExport_Click()

> > > it.

> > > Hi Tobi,
> > >
> > > At lines 72 and 106 in your example project you declare hBlob as Blob. I
> > > have never heard of this datatype and can find no help on it?  If it
> > > exists I sure would like to know it.
> > >
> > > regards
> > > Bruce
>
> Hi Randall,
>
> Yep, I know what a rdbms blob is, I was just hoping there was a "Blob" class somewhere
> in a gambas component that I didn't know about that would allow access to the raw data
> from the gb.db translation of the blob into a string or whatever.
>
> IIRC, recently there was a thread on a problem with postgresql v 9.2?? blobs that were being
> returned from the database as escaped strings.  One of my colleagues fixed that on our
> production database but woefully failed to document what the fix was.  I was just hoping to
> be able to reproduce the problem on a test db and see if I could figure out from the raw data
> exactly what the problem was and how to fix it forever, in case we need to do a db rebuild or
> whatever.
>
> regards
> Bruce

Randall, Blob is a Gambas class that represents a DB's blob field.

Bruce, there's no special concealment about the Blob class :-) See the class
listing of gb.db[0].

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambasdoc.org/help/comp/gb.db/?v3