[Gambas-user] Process' events stall after restart

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jan 19 18:43:34 CET 2013

Le 16/01/2013 17:32, Tobias Boege a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
>
> we noticed that the Read and Error events of a newly started Process don't
> fire up when a former process was killed and the variable holding that
> process gets filled with the new one which in turn shows the symptoms above.
>
> To reproduce, open and start the attached project and
>
> 1. Start the process
> 2. Verify that it works by sending the sample command
> 3. Kill the process
> 4. Restart it
> 5. Send another command which yields nothing
> 6. Kill the process and see the output being flushed into the TextArea
>
> This does not happen when step 3 reads "Start/Replace the process"
> (consequently step 4 would be useless but the result is indifferent).
>
> You will find a NOTE line in the source code. If one, before the new Process
> gets started, assigns Null to the Process variable, everything seems to
> work and output comes in instantly. Please tell me what is not supposed to
> be done in a certain way there.
>
> It was somewhat difficult to reproduce the issue in a smaller project than
> the original one. I couldn't find any alternative to the 'bc' program. Hope
> you can bear that dependency.
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

That bug should be fixed in revision #5511.

As for your comment: BTW: Doesn't Gambas support "short-circuit
evaluation"?... Are you looking for the following syntax?

   If $hProcess And If $hProcess.State = Process.Running Then

Benoît Minisini