[Gambas-user] Capricious Shell instruction

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Jan 6 01:40:20 CET 2013

Hi Benoit,

we came across some strange symptoms with the Shell instruction. Namely, the
amount of output is quite different depending on

a) whether a Process is created or the Shell ... To syntax is used;
b) how much commands are specified and how long each one executes;
c) where the output is sent to.

I prepared a test suite. The single case Hans originally pointed out can be
reproduced here: it is case "aca" in the demonstration project. It gives
only a small percentage of the total output of the "env" command. The
other ones I added are reliably reproducible on my system: Gambas rev#5492.
Though, the numbers of lines vary from time to time where not the full
output is shown.

There is one control window and the big text window on its right is one of
the two "output targets". The smaller text window below the main one is to
display descriptions of the test case and the symptoms observed over here.

I hope it is reproducible on other machines and that the project is readable
enough for you. Sorry if these errors are due to wrong assumptions I made
concerning the Shell instruction.

Regards,
Tobi