[Gambas-user] Need Gambas3 Made Apps.

John konaexpress at ...178...
Thu Feb 7 00:21:32 CET 2013

Hi,
GambOS is targeted at new programmers and possibly new users to Linux. An older Linux user should not have much problem installing Gambas, this is true. It can be a nightmare for a new user though, I know this to be fact or users would not have asked me to make GambOS and we would not have PDF files explaining how to install it.
Willy is correct, the idea to replace apps in the OS is to show new programmers what can be done with Gambas. I know that Gambas is a programming language and is a fantastic IDE but I have never seen an app made in it or with it until I started down this road. Look at the repos of the big Linux distros and see how many apps are there that are made with Gambas. How many do you count?
Orca is not for programming but for the end user, to get users accustomed to seeing apps made with Gambas and to always have the newest runtime installed so that they can download and use apps made with Gambas. Why else would some one learn to program if not to have users use their apps.
I speak from experience when I say that it is heartbreaking to make your first small app and then find out that no one can use it or install it. To make an app that people wanted but they ask you to reprogram it in another language because they read somewhere or heard from some one that Gambas is not a good language to use or that it is a dead project. I almost gave up learning to program then and there........
Gambas is a great language and I want to make it easier for users to learn to program with it and and get non programers used to seeing and using Gambas made apps.
John

----- Original Message -----
From: Tobias Boege
Sent: 02/06/13 12:15 PM
To: willy at ...2734..., mailing list for gambas users
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Need Gambas3 Made Apps.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013, Willy Raets wrote: > On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 09:04 +0100, Fabien Bodard wrote: > > Hi, John... please tell here what are your hurry needs ! > > Hi Fabien, > > Since John hasn't replied yet I'll try to explain. > We will take a standard distro and strip if from a lot of applications > to make it light weight. We'll have Gambas3 pre installed on the distro and some guides in pdf sitting on the desktop. > Next to the Software Center where you can install all common application it will have a separate Gambas3 software center (see project ShowCase) and a Gambas3 application repository. > >From here Gambas3 applications can be installed directly on the distro (think point of view of an end user). > > Next we will try to replace applications present on the distro by Gambas3 applications. > These applications will of course be pre-installed on the distro replacing the original ones and will also be in the ShowCase (Gambas3 Software Center so to speak) > > So we would like: > - Gambas3 Calculator > - Gambas3 Text Editor > - Gambas3 Image Viewer > - Gambas3 Pdf Viewer > - Gambas3 Webbrowser > - Gambas3 MoviePlayer > and such.. > > They need to be GNU Version 3 licensed. > Developers of the application will of course be mentioned as contributors in the GambOS project. > > Any questions, just post them.. Hmm. I want to add some point for consideration: What do you want to do exactly again? I mean: you talk about "end users" as your target group but who would use GambOS/Orca? End users supposedly don't want the software they're accustomed to being replaced by unknown software from a small community (which indicates that it is most probably not widely tested). At least I wouldn't change my preferred, customised editor (etc.) for some other one (after all there's a reason why it is my _preferred_ editor). It would take lots of time to replace, e.g. Firefox with its features by a "WaterGambas" surrogate browser or suchlike - without any use in it because the software was already there and the user doesn't really care about the name or programming language it was written in. Now, if it's a distribution for (beginning) Gambas programmers specifically, I would rather call it a _research project_ among the Gambas user community and then you should try to replace as much as you can by software written in Gambas whose sources can be as easily downloaded as their binaries installed. This seems to be your actual goal to me. (At least that's the kind of project I would see a sense in.) And: Don't be so pathetic. You don't need to be a guru to install Gambas ;-P Regards, Tobi ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Free Next-Gen Firewall Hardware Offer Buy your Sophos next-gen firewall before the end March 2013 and get the hardware for free! Learn more. http://p.sf.net/sfu/sophos-d2d-feb _______________________________________________ Gambas-user mailing list Gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gambas-user