[Gambas-user] Delete a file requiring Admin privilege

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sun Feb 3 14:46:34 CET 2013

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013, John Rose wrote:
> Apologies. I missed out the gksudo in my last message:
>
> The following works OK:
>     sPath = "/home/john/Temp orary/q w.desktop"
>     sLogPath = "/home/john/Temporary/Log.txt"
>     Wait 1
>     sCommand = "gksudo " & "desktop-file-install " & " " &
>                Shell$(sPath) &
>                " >/dev/null 2>" & Shell$(sLogPath)
>     hProcess = Shell sCommand
>     Do
>       Wait 0.1
>     Loop Until hProcess.State <> Process.Running
>
> But the following comes back with the help lines for gksudo i.e. where
> it does not understand the rest:
>     sPath = "/home/john/Temp orary/q.desktop"
>     Exec ["gksudo", "desktop-file-install", sPath] Wait
> PS If I change sPath to not have a space in the directory (e.g. using
> Temporary) but having a space in the filename (e.g. q w.desktop) then I
> get the same.

See [0]. Apparently, gksudo accepts the program to run only in _one single_
argument. There is (almost) certainly not a bug in Gambas related to this.
Try around with gksudo in your terminal (I didn't find the manpage very
explicit about this issue) to find the correct syntax and then apply it to
your Exec instruction.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://askubuntu.com/questions/126950/gksudo-doesnt-work-on-ubuntu-12-04-did-work-before