[Gambas-user] A "statusbar" control

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Sun Dec 22 05:31:10 CET 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-21 at 10:46 +0100, Tobias Boege wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Bruce wrote:
> > Did someone recently speak about having developed a "statusbar" form
> > control?
> >

> If you mean[0], then yes, roughly. There was a StatusBar class from
> Raymond de Bruijne (Gambas2) which I changed to be more Gambas3.
>
> (However, I haven't worked on it since I posed that question because
> the answer kind of disappointed me. But looking at it again, it seems
> pretty plausible.) Anyway, do you want to see it? There are at least
> three versions of this class in use in Hans' projects and I couldn't
> find the "good" one just now... I'll finish the "StatusbarForm" idea
> and then publish the thing in a separate article...
>
> Regards,
> Tobi
>
> [0] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=31629361

Tobi,

Yes, that was the mention.

Having re-read that thread (and I have no idea why the search I did
failed for it?) and you comments above, it seems to be at the same state
my old gb2 one was, wherever it is. Or probably a bit better, because if
I recall correctly, I could not ever really work out what I was trying
to achieve.

Since I never got far, I sort of forgot it and got on with life.  I
remember thinking at the time that it was such a basic idea how come
there wasn't a native one.  Since then I have discovered that life on
the planet has actually continued without it.

But, in fact "Some people seem to like this sort of thing." is exactly
what happened this week.  "They" want a status bar.

It's no big deal really. I was just hoping that someone had one that
might get "them" off my back. So, whenever.

I had another go yesterday at creating a custom status bar control, but
yet again, came up against the same problem of deciding what it is I
actually want.  I know some of the things I want:
- an IDE configurable number of sub-panels,
- automatic layout, including "springiness" for at least one of the
subpanels,
- user interaction with the statusbar to stretch a sub-panel relative to
the others,
- (biggy) event response, so when something happens in the application
the app can raise an event handled by the statusbar to do/show
something.

Every time I get to that last one, is where I start trying to work out
what that really means. ( I am going to get a bit historical now. ) Some
time in the last century I did write a (cough) VB (cough) component
(cough, lets call it an "addin" at best) that did do whatever it is I am
talking about.   While I write this I am starting to remember that it
was actually a nightmare that involved all sorts of callbacks... and
things...

Enough!

As I said, I was hoping for an easy way out. But 2013 seems to have
staggered on towards the "final act" which means that probably very
little "work stuff" will be achieved here at paddys-hill over the next
couple of weeks.  So to you and yours and all who may be listening, have
a great and safe festive season, a memorable new year and a fantastic
2014.

best regards
Bruce

p.s. It was 43 degrees here yesterday. That's Celsius, not Fahrenheit.
Today is a bit better, it's 32 at 3pm.  As such, I may have to go out
now and find some small quantity of cold liquid refreshment, lest I
dehydrate! :-)