[Gambas-user] SteamOS and GAMBAS

Sat Dec 14 22:50:40 CET 2013

Valve just released the first beta of SteamOS, a Debian Wheezy-based
distro which runs the Steam client in Big Picture mode (designed for
televisions). SteamOS is Valve's attempt to circumvent the walled
gardens that are Microsoft Windows and Apple iOS/OSX and allow the
digital distribution of their games though Steam independent of a
locked-down OS. Their plan is to allow third party OEMs and VARs to
install SteamOS onto "steamboxes", which essentially are HTPCs (PCs
designed for the living room). Valve is developing their own custom
input devices (gamepads, etc.) for the OS and are pushing game
development studios hard to port past and future games to Linux so they
may be distributed through SteamOS.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/12/14/0045211/valve-releases-debian-based-steamos-beta

I'm downloading the ISO now to test it in a VM:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1e4dae83371ba704d5d89e1828068ef0c4151e32&dn=SteamOSInstaller.zip&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download/?ver=default

Currently GAMBAS can't run on iOS, OSX, Windows, Android or any game
console OSs (PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, etc.). There is a strong possibility,
especially if we contact Valve head Gabe Newell directly, that GAMBAS
will be able to run on SteamOS with GAMBAS applications being
distributed through Steam. I think it would be a serious mistake to let
this opportunity slip by while SteamOS is still in beta. It's a very
rare opportunity to increase the potential install base of GAMBAS
applications that we may not see again.

One glaring issue however may be GAMBAS's required packages and
dependencies. SteamOS is basically a console OS, meaning it is expected
to work the same way throughout its lifespan with the exception of
Valve-tested updates. I doubt Valve would allow an application to
arbitrarily install packages. Is there a way to package a GAMBAS
application such that all the dependencies and libraries are stored with
the application and not installed system-wide? It would be like a
Windows application having all it's DLLs stored in its installation
directory, ignoring the Windows system DLLs.

Anyway, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I'm pretty damn
excited!

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues