[Gambas-user] how to convert VB Project file to Gambas

terco IDE tercoide at ...67...
Fri Dec 13 17:49:01 CET 2013

You can't convert it, you need to port it.

A good thing is to have someone that's already into Gambas (I'm lucky to have the help of the guys at gambas-es.org), but
if you are not doing open-source, you're in your own. We're porting a big program like this:

1st create the main form, with menus and controls, it's done very much the same way (or better ;).

2nd create the modules (.bas) with the structure of the info and all the funcions

3rd copy/paste the code of the control's events from the VB's .frm to the  GB's .form, doint the necesary changes.

I've found the most common complications come from silly things like:
-funtions or subs that make changes in the parameters need to be called with Byref
-array declaration is totally diferent, it's allways [0 to n]
-  "this" = "that" usually means "this" will have the same value of "that"
and when you change "that", "this" will surprisingly change too