[Gambas-user] accessing mdb files

Randall Morgan rmorgan62 at ...626...
Mon Aug 26 19:39:11 CEST 2013

Linux does not have direct support for mdb as far as I am aware.

Under Linux, you would need to either locate a an access driver for odbc or
use something like Jackcess in Java middle-ware to access the db. There are
other possibilities such as running MSSQL on a windows machine and remotely
connecting to the dbms. If it must be local you are best off converting the
db to something like MySQL or Postgress.  There are tools for converting
from Access to other dbms' and there are some commercial drivers for *nix
systems. Another possibility is to export your Access db to cvs format and
import it into Open Office, then connect to it via open office.

One solution I have not tried nor have I found any info on is possibly
running Access on WINE and connecting to it. But you might want to look in
to it. Could be a dead end though. The best solutions however are either
run a remote dbms to serve you mdb database or convert it to a *nix
supported dbms.

Hope that helps