[Gambas-user] [SOLVED] - MK802 Allwinner A10 running Gambas3

jm joem at ...2671...
Fri Sep 28 13:12:34 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 15:59 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 26/09/2012 15:52, jm a écrit :
> >>
> >> I fixed nothing relating to your problem in r5197, so I think the
> >> problem comes from your system installation.
> >
> > I haven't change my system between 5196 and 5197. The only thing I had
> > done was to do a "chmod -R 777 trunk" in case something was amis
> > with permissions.

> >> Mmm... It seems to be a problem in Qt or OpenGL: which version of Qt do
> >> you use? Please try to add the following line at the beginning of
> >> CGLArea.cpp, line 25:
> >>
> >> #include <GL/gl.h>
> >>
> >> Recompile and tell me the result!
> >
> > The version of qt is qt4 4.8.1 0ubuntu4
> >
> > Attached the modified recompiled version of 5197.
> >
> > The crashing problem with MK802 solved by others by opening case and
> > attaching heatsink! Its was just too hot inside the case when compiling
> > for hours on end. I order 2nd duplicate device.
> > I should be able to do more things more often from here in.
> >
> > Also attached is the trunk version of 5206.
> > (Same problem at same place as 5197 trunk.)
> >
> > Regards
> >

> I think there is a problem on what is installed on your system. I don't
> think it comes from the Gambas sources nor ARM, because Gambas 3
> compiles successfully on Raspberry Pi.
>
> I saw a reference on "GLES" in the error message. GLES is not compatible
> with GL: did you install something related to GLES on your system? If
> this is the case, remove it and try to recompile.
>
> Regards,

Mr. Benoît, it appears you are 100% correct!!! :-)

Long story but Gambas3 now works with MK802!!

Thank you for your help.

Here is recipe:

1. Get the Lubuntu 12.04 image from here as per your device and monitor
type:
https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/1
The image files have been compressed with 7zip and have a .7z file
extension.

2. Get an 8GB microSDCard.
3. Decompress the .7z image from file. (In Ubuntu, this can be done with
p7zip-full.) This will result in a 4Gb image file.
4. dd the image to the 8GB microSDCard as per instructions
https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/1

5. The microsdcard will then have a small 17Mb partition and a 3gb
partition. Use gparted or similar tool to expand the 3gb partition to
7gb.
6. Boot the MK802 with new Lubuntu 12.04 8GB microSDCard. The default
password is miniand.

(The MK802 will need to be taken out of its casing
and a heat sink attached to the A10 chip and the other large flash
memory chip - otherwise it will overheat and crash during the operations
that follow. The two smaller RAM does not seem to get as hot - but
better to be safe and heat sink them too. The case is in 3 pieces and
more than likely you will break the small 3rd piece that covers the HDMI
connector. So be very very slow and careful when prizing open the case
by working around edges taking care not to yank at the 3rd piece. After
opening, take care not to yank the antenna cable, or you lost your wifi!
)

7. Set up the wifi by clicking the wifi icon.
8. Run up a terminal, and run "top" command. This is needed
   all the time to watch if the CPU is busy. If CPU is busy,
   then don't click on anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   Just wait until each operation has finished!!
9. From the Lubuntu menu, run Update Manager in System Tools menu
10. The update manager has been nixed so that it won't update (doh!?)
   So, click settings button, then in updates tab click on enable
important security update and enable recommended updates. Then close
that dialog box. Always keep looking at the terminal to make sure the
CPU has finished each operation. Now click on "check" button, and when
that is finished, click on "install updates" button. It will take hours!
11. Reboot as guided, and then when everything is stable, open up
synaptic from system tools, search for GLES and remove the libgles2 mesa
package. About 4 packages in addition will get removed. (That will vary
with time as more dependencies get added).

11. install the subversion package
12. follow the guides at
http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
http://gambasdoc.org/help/install?en&view&v3
http://gambasdoc.org/help/install/ubuntu?v3&view
http://gambasdoc.org/help/howto/svn
and install the remaining packages. It takes several hours!

13. Do the svn command to get latest code from trunk:
svn checkout
https://gambas.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gambas/gambas/trunk/

14. Follow the above guides once again to compile and install gambas3.
It will take more hours!

Then it should all work. :-)

Photo attached.

The photo shows minimal system with a wireless keyboard and mouse
connected to HDMI monitor 1080p. Audio is present in the HDMI link.
So I installed the espeak package from
the repository and it now talks out through the monitor through the HDMI
connection with a little help from a modified gambas2 example progam
that has been converted to gambas3. (I used the shell command
to all espeak.)