[Gambas-user] Modify a control in another form

richard rterry at ...1823...
Sun Sep 23 00:44:29 CEST 2012

On 23/09/12 08:31, Keith Clark wrote:
> On 12-09-22 06:23 PM, richard wrote:
>> On 23/09/12 08:03, Keith Clark wrote:
>>> How do I modify settings of a control on another form?  Let's say that I
>>> want to be able to control the number of rows and columns of a grid
>>> view, gvSampleGrid, on form, fGameGrid from form, fGameSetup.
>>>
>>> Would it not be fGameGrid.gvSampleGrid.rows.count=10?
>>>
>>> I am working with the book A beginner's Guide to Gambas but find it
>>> confusing on the basics.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> If you have set your projects options to make your controls public you
>>> can address any control on anther form with the correct syntax
>>>
>>> What error message to you get when you run your code?
>>>
>>> richard
>>>

> That is exactly what I didn't do!  Set the controls to public.  Done now
> and it works fine.  Thanks!
>
> Keith

Also remember you can pass anything from form to form even forms, or
pass forms to code modules. Also you can declare a form

For example if  you used alot of say columnviews all over a large
project and did the same sort of thing to the columnview in all the
forms, simple example, allow the user to change the font of a columnview
and save it to a settings file via a pop-up menu over the columnview,
you could have a general module in your project, and pass the columnview
to that module, do whatever on it you wanted. Then you have a single few
lines of code you re-use in dozens and dozens of situations.

e.g I have a module I call modUtil and puts lots of stuff in it which is
used all over the place

Public Sub Columnview_SetFont(cvw As Columnview, Settings_Section As String)
    'Attempts to change the font of a columnview and save to settings

    Dialog.font = cvw.font
    If Dialog.SelectFont() Then Return
    cvw.font = Dialog.Font
    Settings[Settings_Section & "/" & cvw.name & ".font"] =
cvw.Font.ToString()

End