[Gambas-user] Issue 329 in gambas: COPY snaps symlinks

gambas at ...2524... gambas at ...2524...
Thu Sep 13 05:26:19 CEST 2012

Owner: ----
Labels: Version Type-Other Priority-Medium OpSys-Any Dist-Any Arch-Any
Desktop-Any GUI-Any

New issue 329 by adamn... at ...626...: COPY snaps symlinks
http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=329

1) Describe the problem.
I discovered this when using the IDE Save Project As... menu item.

If a project contains symlinks, then when Project.CopyProject() issues
the "Copy sSrc &/ sFile To sDst &/ sFile" command at line 2443, the links
are snapped and the target files are copied in.

This contrary to the way that shell copies (bash:cp) work.  On a command
line
     cp -R sourceprojectdir targetprojectdir
preserves the symlinks.

I have marked this as an "Other" type as you may have some reason for this
behaviour.  But here is why I see it as possibly a bug.  We use a lot of
symlinks in projects to images and boilerplate text and code in
the "corporate-image" directory.  These are all maintained in one place and
when changes occur, all the projects that link to them are automagically
updated.

Regardless of the Save Project As... matter, I'd think that any other use
of the COPY keyword in code could be expected to behave the same, i.e.
symlinks should be preserved as they are a symlink for some reason.

2) GIVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIONS (if they are appropriate):
N/A

3) Provide a little project that reproduces the bug or the crash.
N/A

4) If your project needs a database, try to provide it, or part of it.
N/A

5) Explain clearly how to reproduce the bug or the crash.
N/A

6) By doing that carefully, you have done 50% of the bug fix job!

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you encounter several different problems or bugs, (for
example, a bug in your project, and an interpreter crash while debugging
it), please create distinct issues!