[Gambas-user] R: My programm name of process

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Fri Oct 5 16:39:14 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:56 +0100, Ru Vuott wrote:
> The name of "process" is here:
>
>   /proc/PID_number/comm
>

> The directory of program;
>
>   /proc/PID_number/cmdline
>

> bye
> vuottt

or just
ps x| grep gbr

but I'm not sure that I really understand the problem here

<> man killall
DESCRIPTION
       killall sends a signal to all processes running any  of  the
specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent.

1) "specified commands"  : the command IS gbr3
2) gambas (sorry gbr3 to be precise) respects the SIGTERM signal and
terminates

If you want to terminate (with extreme prejudice) a running gambas
executable when you have 2, 10 or 25gazillion of them  running, then the
"process" is
a) find THE process that is the one you want to kill (ps top etc, etc
there are lots of tools around)
b) understand how to issue a kill command to the target process.

(personal opinion) I have eschewed the killall command for some years
(~10), never trusted it, never will. But I see that it has been
creeeeping back into more use lately, particularly in some uvoodoo
related distros. THM: If you want to kill a particular process, then the
onus is on you to find and specify the exact process you want to kill.

On the other hand, the alternative could be ctrl-alt-del... ... :-)

best regards
Bruce