[Gambas-user] IDE 100% CPU and never loads project

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Thu Nov 29 07:32:57 CET 2012

This is a FYI and a hope for a fix.

Today I had a very nasty thing happen.

Inadvertently, I made a class inherit itself and started to compile the
project.  This resulted in an endless compile so I killed the IDE.
Here's where the nasty starts.  It has already updated the .info file
and the bad class has its' parent set to itself. Viz
        #Construct
        Construct

        _property
        etc...

When I restarted the IDE and tried to reload the project, it goes into
an endless loop and runs at 100% CPU.

I am writing this note because even when I found the problem and fixed
the source via an external editor, the problem persisted.  It took
several hours to find that it is caused by the entry in the .info file.

(Benoit, If this situation occurs, the IDE loops in CComponent.Load
approximately around lines 504 to 611 forever. I don't understand enough
of what is happening in this loop to even suggest a solution, but it may
improve if it recognizes that the parent is the same class as the
current class and somehow alerts the user.)

So, if something similar happens to you, don't forget to check that
a) you didn't inadvertently make a class inherit itself, and
b) that the info file needs fixing.

Bruce