[Gambas-user] llvm compiling - how to (your millage may vary)

The Phantomgraph };8> phantomgraph at ...626...
Wed Nov 28 03:34:16 CET 2012

* snip *
> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:32:39 +0000
> From: RICHARD WALKER <richard.j.walker at ...247...>

> Hmmm, looks useful - in principle - sadly though, I fall at the first
> hurdle. When I try to remove libllvm3.0 my package manager insists
> that 126 other packages are dependent and must also be removed.

> It seems that Mageia 2 packagers are prone to exaggerate the meaning
> of "depend".

Hi Richard,

Wow, 126? Add 0011 more and it'll roll over to a negative! ;p

I'm not familiar with Mageia at all so I hesitate to offer any kind of
advice other than check out their help board / list. In theory you
should be able to compile llvm 3.1 and install it on top of 3.0 but
I've had trouble doing things like this and package managers. (That's
why I recommended uninstalling the packages first.)

Back when Ubuntu was something no one had ever heard of I had to do
something like that to some package or another to get something like
blender to work. I remember having to do a force uninstall of the
package and telling apt-get (or whatever it was back then) to ignore
the dependencies. It worked, but it was some package that was a lot
simpler than llvm.

Myself I would NOT try what I suggested above without knowing exactly
what the llvm package for Mageia has in it. (Clang for example or any
of the other projects that are part of the package build.) In addition
you will have to be careful of any updating software Mageia has as it
could install a patched update to 3.0 over 3.1

This is one of those cases that if I had a spare machine to try things
out on I would IF I needed gb.jit If not, I would wait until Mageia
updated the packages / distro

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps someone else here will have
a better suggestion / solution.