[Gambas-user] Debian repository

Willy Raets willy at ...2734...
Sun Nov 25 01:36:05 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 20:17 -0300, Sebastian Kulesz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Ian Haywood <ihaywood at ...1979...> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Sebastian Kulesz <sebikul at ...626...>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi there!!
> > >
> > > Yesterday I released a new version of a personal project. Luckily, it
> > > gained a lot of traction. Not so luckily, a lot of Debian users commented
> > > that they either had problems with apt complaining about gambas versions,
> > > or the interpreter complaining about the "Bytecode too recent." error.
> > >
> > > I provided a PPA for Ubuntu users which solves everything for them, but
> > > Debian users are left in the dark. They have 2 options only, compile
> > > gambas3 or use the Ubuntu PPA version corresponding to
> > > it's Debian installation (NOT recommended at all). And those who don't
> > know
> > > how to do any, will complain about the official packages spitting out
> > > errors because they are either wrongly packaged or too out of date. This
> > > has been like this for months and contacting a maintainer is nearly
> > > impossible. Besides, the mailing list for Gambas packagers is full of
> > spam,
> > > so it seems nobody is watching it.
> > If you can get gambas to compile on a debian system (I have really
> > struggled)
> > please let me know as this is the block to getting an update out.
> >
> > the other option (which is what I do) is to compile your project on the
> > debian
> > version, this prevents the "bytecode too recent" problem and creates a
> > version
> > debian users can use.

First make sure all previous installations are completely removed
So uninstall and next do this:

sudo rm
-f /usr/local/bin/gbx3 /usr/local/bin/gbc3 /usr/local/bin/gba3 /usr/local/bin/gbi3
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/gambas3
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/gambas3
sudo rm -f /usr/local/bin/gambas3
sudo rm -f /usr/local/bin/gambas3.gambas

sudo rm -f /usr/bin/gbx3 /usr/bin/gbc3 /usr/bin/gba3 /usr/bin/gbi3
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/gambas3
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/gambas3
sudo rm -f /usr/bin/gambas3
sudo rm -f /usr/bin/gambas3.gambas

Last version I installed compiling was Gambas 3.3.3 (so I hope it works
for 3.3.4 as well)

For Debian squeeze:

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf libbz2-dev libfbclient2
libmysqlclient-dev unixodbc-dev libpq-dev libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-dev
ibglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libldap2-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev
libgtkglext1-dev libpcre3-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
libsdl-image1.2-dev libsage-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libbonobo2-dev
libcos4-dev libomniorb4-dev librsvg2-dev libpoppler-dev
libpoppler-glib-dev libasound2-dev libesd0-dev libdirectfb-dev
libaa1-dev libxtst-dev libffi-dev kdelibs4-dev firebird2.1-dev
libqt4-dev libglew1.5-dev libimlib2-dev libv4l-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
libgnome-keyring-dev linux-libc-dev libgsl0-dev libncurses5-dev
libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libcairo2-dev
libgmime-2.4-dev

gb.media (gstreamer version to low) and gb.jit (LLVM 3.1 needed) will be
disabled.

For Debian Wheezy:

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf libbz2-dev libfbclient2
libmysqlclient-dev unixodbc-dev libpq-dev libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-dev
libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libldap2-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev
libgtkglext1-dev libpcre3-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
libsdl-image1.2-dev libsage-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libbonobo2-dev
libcos4-dev libomniorb4-dev librsvg2-dev libpoppler-dev
libpoppler-glib-dev libpoppler-private-dev libasound2-dev libesd0-dev
libdirectfb-dev libaa1-dev libxtst-dev libffi-dev kdelibs5-dev
firebird2.1-dev libqt4-dev libglew1.5-dev libimlib2-dev libv4l-dev
libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libgnome-keyring-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
linux-libc-dev libgsl0-dev libncurses5-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libcairo2-dev libgmime-2.6-dev

gb.jit (LLVM 3.1 needed) is disabled.

Both installs where from 3.3.3. downloaded from Gambas website.

Hope this helps, I would love to see a Gambas 3.3.x version in official
Debian repos (for both Squeeze and Wheezy) really soon.
That would probably also be of influence on the Ubuntu repos (as I
understood from someone)
Both distros really need some Gambas 3 A.S.A.P , but how to make them
understand this need?

Willy