[Gambas-user] Debian repository

Ian Haywood ihaywood at ...1979...
Sat Nov 24 00:10:48 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Sebastian Kulesz <sebikul at ...626...> wrote:
> Hi there!!
>
> Yesterday I released a new version of a personal project. Luckily, it
> gained a lot of traction. Not so luckily, a lot of Debian users commented
> that they either had problems with apt complaining about gambas versions,
> or the interpreter complaining about the "Bytecode too recent." error.
>
> I provided a PPA for Ubuntu users which solves everything for them, but
> Debian users are left in the dark. They have 2 options only, compile
> gambas3 or use the Ubuntu PPA version corresponding to
> it's Debian installation (NOT recommended at all). And those who don't know
> how to do any, will complain about the official packages spitting out
> errors because they are either wrongly packaged or too out of date. This
> has been like this for months and contacting a maintainer is nearly
> impossible. Besides, the mailing list for Gambas packagers is full of spam,
> so it seems nobody is watching it.
If you can get gambas to compile on a debian system (I have really struggled)
please let me know as this is the block to getting an update out.

the other option (which is what I do) is to compile your project on the debian
version, this prevents the "bytecode too recent" problem and creates a version
debian users can use.

remember the debian philosophy is a bit different and software
packages don't get updated
as other distros.

Ian