[Gambas-user] Issue 355 in gambas: gb.gtk still uses gtk2

gambas at ...2524... gambas at ...2524...
Fri Nov 9 03:54:06 CET 2012

Comment #2 on issue 355 by sebi... at ...626...: gb.gtk still uses gtk2
http://code.google.com/p/gambas/issues/detail?id=355

That was a *really* interesting post. However, I have a few questions:

* Most of the arguments where referring to GNOME as a desktop environment,
not just to the GTK library. How would that affect Gambas? Would it be that
harder to maintain?

* Would the benefits of using GTK3 outweigh it's disadvantages? There are
more widgets, and lots of the current ones gained some nice features.

* Setting themes apart. What would/could change (if any) to the way GUI
apps are coded in Gambas?

If you ask me, I would stick with GTK2, as XFCE does not draw GTK3 apps
correctly. However, there are some features that are being introduced in
new GTK3 releases that are impossible to use, and that would make a Gambas
app to seamlessly integrate and feel like other apps. See
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.6/GtkApplication.html.

Please note, i'm not saying the port MUST happen. I just wanted to start a
discussion and know what the response would be.
If not now, this would have been discussed soon.