[Gambas-user] My Raspberry Pi has arrived!

tobi tobiasboege01 at ...1601...
Wed May 30 15:04:40 CEST 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 30/05/2012 13:08, jm a écrit :

> >> These privileged people... :-)
> >>
> >> I was thinking: maybe I must find a way to let the IDE debug programs
> >> remotely. I mean: developing the program on the PC, click on the start
> >> button, and magically the program is run on the Raspberry and debugged
> >> remotely.
> >>
> >> But I don't know what could be the best solution for that. Give your
> >> ideas people...
> >

> > I just received mine from Farnell. Wanted 5 got 1 on allocation :(
> > Still its here and getting Gambas and Ubuntu going on it is high on the
> > priority list.
> >
> > For remote operation of gambas IDE, I normally spend time on lab and
> > access the main desktop in office with ssh -X.
> >
> > ssh -X username at ...2855...
> >
> > If running Ubuntu I can do this:
> >
> > ssh -X username at ...2856... (saves having to remember ipaddress)
> >
> > I compile/run gambas IDE on office PC as needed from Lab PC with no loss
> > of speed or effectiveness. In effect ssh -X does the full remote
> > developer thing.
> >
> > So I imagine if Raspberry had going inside it X, gambas and ssh, and it
> > was connected by ethernet, then ssh -X will work, and the full testing
> > and debugging can be carried out from a remote PC with no code changes
> > to Gambas!
> >
> > Ahhh the wonders of Linux! :-)
> >

> > [p.s. There are a couple of pointers to Gambas3 and Rasberry,
> >   but does anyone have some knowledge of Ubuntu + Gambas3 working and
> >   available as downloadable image file for SDCard?]
> >

> I'd like to just do the debugging remotely. Maybe ssh is the better
> solution.
>
> So the user would have to enter a login, a password and an host/ip in
> the IDE, the IDE will connect to the RPi that way, and will be able to
> run the project in debugging mode.
>
> Now I must find a way to let the project in debugging mode communicate
> with the IDE on the PC. It should be a matter of having a socket go
> through the ssh connection.
>
> A bit like 'ssh -X' I imagine, but I don't know exactly how it should be
> done.
>
> If nobody tells me, I will ask google!
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

Don't know how remote debugging programs like gdb or something work with this, but a naive and
the more annoying-to-write approach could be a socket on the other side which receives commands.
There are passed through a function that selects the debugging functions by identifiers (strings
would be best, I think). Depending on what is possible with the current debugger, parameter(s) are
required (pointers? names?) and a way to obtain them from the debugger over there (this could be
the only addition to the debugger process interface). The socket over there writes back the data
so that the IDE here can display the stuff as if it was received from the debugger... This is a
technically not that complicated protocol, I think. Quickly googled, the gdb seems to have
implemented a GDB remote protocol, too - what else?
(Written freely without security considerations)

Regards,
Tobi