[Gambas-user] gb3: OpenGL Rotate and Translate logic

tommyline at ...2340... tommyline at ...2340...
Sun May 27 09:29:55 CEST 2012

Simply speaking, "near" and "far" clipping planes is something like two vertical planes in front of your eyes, and the view is rendered between them. Like hologram generator. Both of the planes must be in front of you, so "near" must be greater than 0,
the"far" depends on how far you want to see your world. Let's say you set "far" as 20 and see the rectangle which is 100 units deep, you will see only 20 units of it (but in the view direction - if not rotated, in Z direction). In your case "near" is always in front of your eyes, so set it as 0.1, "far" should be big enough to see quite a lot of the world if it rotates plus elevation over it, I'd say 5000 should be enough, but you have to check it to be sure.
As for missing parts of the world, the best trick to hide it is to use fog on very low settings, so it makes nice blurr, but doesn't affect close range picture.

Tomek

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Fishburne" <kevinfishburne at ...1887...>
To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Sunday, 27 May, 2012 8:12:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] gb3: OpenGL Rotate and Translate logic

On 05/27/2012 02:40 AM, tommyline at ...2340... wrote:
> Ok,
>
> first - you've got perspective range as
>
> Glu.Perspective(45, sWidth / sHeight, -1, 1)<- should be positve and bigger ie. Glu.Perspective(45, sWidth / sHeight, 0.1, 500) or even more if the world is big.
>
> second - you're too low over the ground, thus  the world is kind of "flipped", increase eyez in glu.LookAt().
>
> See it it works, then we can sort out the rest.
>
> Tomek

Yeah, I am a bit confused about the "near" and "far" clipping range
values. My maximum world dimensions are 65536x65536 feet with the
elevation in inches represented by a short, or -2730 to 2730 feet
(32768/12). I'm guessing the near value should be around 2730 and the
far value should be around -2730 then? Things are starting to get pretty
exciting, as all my data was already "3D", just my rendering looked like
an old JRPG.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues