[Gambas-user] Data Structures like C++

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Mon May 21 22:36:51 CEST 2012

Στις 21/5/2012 23:25, ο/η Benoît Minisini έγραψε:
> Le 21/05/2012 21:51, Demosthenes Koptsis a écrit :
>> Basic languages have simple data structures like vars and arrays but
>> other languages
>> like c++ with the help of pointers can have advanced data structures
>> like containers etc...
>>
>> see a full list here
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_structures
>>
>> i wonder if such data structures can be implemented with gambas with
>> pointers and if such an action have any mean for real life
>> applications?
>>
>> Is it possible to have such data structures in gambas?
>> How about some of these to be part of the core libraries?
> Some data structures are missing, but not so many as you may think at
> first sight.
>
> If they are implemented, I don't think they will go inside the
> interpreter, to keep its size small (it is already too big for my
> tastes), but in an extern component.
>
> * Map/Associative array/Dictionary
> * Hash
>
> Use a Collection in both case. If the key is not a string, you must find
> a way to identify your key with a unique string.
>
> * Multimap
>
> Use a Collection whose values are arrays.
>
> * List
>
> Use an array. Since CPU have now one, two, three... memory caches,
> arrays as almost always faster than linked lists.
>
> * Set
>
> One could use a Collection to emulate it: by transforming a value into a
> string key, we can assume that the value belongs to the set if the
> collection has something associated with the key.
>
> But it would be better to add a Set native class with a native
> implementation (in C. Stop with C++!).
>
> * Multiset
>
> Same remarks (the value is associated to its number of occurence in the
> collection).
>
> * Priority queue
>
> Is it worth having a native implementation for that? I don't think so. A
> implementation in Gambas should be enough.
>
> * Queue
> * Deque
> * Stack
>
> Use an Array. The Push() and Pop() methods can help.
>
> * String
>
> We have strings of characters. Is something else really needed?
>
> * Tree
> * Graph
>
> Native implementation of that would be interesting.
>
> Any volunteer? :-)

i am still learning from a book for c++ (ok i stop! but i study it these
days sorry:) )
and i dont know if i could write something as gambas class of course, not c.

and i think the dicussiont from now one have to be transferred at dev list.

But i just throw the idea here in user list!