[Gambas-user] gb3 on pclinuxos - builds OK but IDE is blank

Bruce bbruen at ...2308...
Wed May 16 06:57:24 CEST 2012

A possible further clue?

When I run some of my apps that "work" under the gb.qt environment e.g.

cd ~/libman
export GB_GUI=gb.qt4
./libman.gambas

the app hangs when it executes an external command.  So far I've found
examples where Shell and Desktop calls end up with the application
hanging.

Sufficiently clear? Well, for example, one app has a button to startup
the desktop file manager viz,

        Public Sub btnBrowse_Click()

          If $gbproj2 Then Desktop.Open($gbproj2.Path)

        End

When I run this using gb.gtk it works properly, i.e. the file manager is
opened and the application keeps going.  If I run it under gb.qt4, when
the button is clicked, a) the file manager doesn't open and b) the app
hangs.

Another example is one where I'm doing a lot of "Shell" commands to run
an autotools install.  (I'll stick the relevant code below.) In this
case all the Shell commands execute but the application hangs again???

        Public Sub mnuInstall_Click()

          Dim wkitem As String
          Dim workdir As String = "paddys-hill-workarea"
          Dim unpack As String = "cd &1; pwd; tar -xvf &2"
          Dim make As String = "cd &1;pwd;./configure;make"

          Dim logger As String

          wkitem = gvwInstalls.Current.Text
          Print "\nInstalling " & wkitem

          ' 1) set up the necessary infrastructure
          '     All we need is a temporary build directory, into which
        the archive is expanded
          '     Use the users home dir and a visible workingdir so we
        don't have to worry about which
          '     "tmp" to use.
          If Not Exist(User.Home &/ workdir) Then Mkdir User.Home &/
        workdir

          ' 2) decompress the archive
          Print "Decompressing - " & Subst(unpack, User.Home &/ workdir,
        wkitem)
          Shell Subst(unpack, User.Home &/ workdir, wkitem) To logger
          Print logger

          ' 3) configure and make
          Print "Compiling - " & Subst(make,
        Replace(File.BaseName(wkitem), ".tar", ""))
          Shell Subst(make, User.Home &/ workdir &/
        Replace(File.BaseName(wkitem), ".tar", "")) To logger
          Print logger

          ' 4) make install
          Select Case Desktop.Type
            Case "LXDE"
              Print "Installing - " & Subst("gksu -D Installer 'cd &1;
        pwd; make install'", User.Home &/ workdir &/
        Replace(File.BaseName(wkitem), ".tar", ""))
              Shell Subst("gksu -D Installer 'cd &1; pwd; make
        install'", User.Home &/ workdir &/
        Replace(File.BaseName(wkitem), ".tar", "")) To logger
              Print logger
            Case Else
              Print Desktop.Type
          End Select

        Finally
          Print "Cleanup - " & "rm -rf " & User.Home &/ workdir
          If Exist(User.Home &/ workdir) Then Shell "rm -rf " &
        User.Home &/ workdir
          Print "\nDone"

        Catch
          Print Error.Text

        End

What is even more weird is that this is the console log output from use
of the above code, it actually runs all the way through to the Print
"\nDone" line.

        Installing /home/bb/packages/autotools/webaccess3-0.3.3.tar.gz
        Decompressing - cd /home/bb/paddys-hill-workarea; pwd; tar
        -xvf /home/bb/packages/autotools/webaccess3-0.3.3.tar.gz
        /home/bb/paddys-hill-workarea
        webaccess3-0.3.3/
        webaccess3-0.3.3/configure
        webaccess3-0.3.3/Makefile.am

        ...>8 snipped a lot of tar output ...

        webaccess3-0.3.3/webaccess3/logo.png

        Compiling - cd webaccess3-0.3.3;pwd;./configure;make
        /home/bb/paddys-hill-workarea/webaccess3-0.3.3
        checking for gawk... gawk
        checking for gambas3 binaries... Ok
        checking for gambas3 components path... Ok
        checking for gb.net component... Ok
        checking for gb.net.curl component... Ok
        configure: creating ./config.status
        config.status: creating Makefile
        Compiling webaccess3 project...
        OK

        Installing - gksu -D Installer
        'cd /home/bb/paddys-hill-workarea/webaccess3-0.3.3; pwd; make
        install'

        Cleanup - rm -rf /home/bb/paddys-hill-workarea

        Done

Bruce