[Gambas-user] Gambas 3 arrays usage

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ...247...
Sun May 6 14:06:22 CEST 2012

Greetings to the list on a fine Sunday afternoon (should be outside
enjoying it instead of hacking on a new project!).

I am having difficulty understanding the correct way to program with
arrays in Gambas 3. The documentation has this warning notice:

In Gambas 3, embedded arrays cannot be used as local variables
anymore. But they can be public!

This is from http://gambasdoc.org/help/lang/arraydecl?show&v3

The same page shows that local variables are declared as:

(1) DIM Identifier AS [ NEW ] Datatype [ Array dimensions ... ]

Embedded arrays are defined as being declared in this way:

(2) [ STATIC ] { PUBLIC | PRIVATE } Identifier [ Array dimensions ...
] AS Native Datatype

My difficulty is that I do not understand how an embedded array
declared with syntax (2) can be taken for a local variable, which is
declared with syntax (1). Is there some other non-technical meaning
for "local variable" which is intended in the notice?

Richard