[Gambas-user] About library and component packaging in Gambas 3

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat May 5 18:50:36 CEST 2012

Le 05/05/2012 15:30, tobi a écrit :

>> OK.
>> But just for interest, what do you mean by "impossible to analyze"? Excuse me, but I haven't read
>> anything from the compiler yet. (When you say "analyze", I think of line numbers and stuff
>> (optimisation can be done later, too, right?), but line numbers would be possible, I'm almost a bit
>> certain, to report to the IDE, if that is what you mean)
>> I just tested it and found that cpp warns at ['] the gambas comment character which, of course, may
>> not ahve any closing ['] one and thus confuses the program but it fearlessly ignores that and
>> continues as expected.

"cpp" means "C PreProcessor". This program was designed (not always
intelligently) for the C-language.

This is the reason why there is a preprocessor inside the Gambas
compiler dedicated to the Gambas language.

But this preprocessor is very rudimentary, only the really needed
features being implemented.

When I say "impossible to analyze", I mean that a preprocessor like
"cpp" is really obfuscating the real code, and so it will prevent the
development from analyzing the code. Then you can say bye-bye to
automatic completion, method arguments popups and so on.

Benoît Minisini