[Gambas-user] About Visual Studio Express

Demosthenes Koptsis demosthenesk at ...626...
Fri Mar 30 22:53:05 CEST 2012

Στις 30/3/2012 18:54, ο/η Rolf-Werner Eilert έγραψε:
> Am 28.03.2012 14:40, schrieb Demosthenes Koptsis:
>> These days i started to test Visual Studio Express 2010 to compare it
>> with Gambas3.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with VB Studio Express ?
>>
>> Are there any characteristics that may be we wanted to see in Gambas3 ?
>>
>> Thank you !
>>
> Yes and no. I made a small app with VB Express (don't know if it was the
> 2010 edition, but it could be) some time ago, and I found it pretty
> roundabout to do simple things. When I look at the code I wrote and see
> something like
> This.Is.Something.Very.Simple.But.As.Roundabout.As.Possible.To.Find and
> documentation about it was so poor, I know what I like Gambas for. I had
> to search very long before I found simple things like how to change a
> letter in a text widget or print or whatever.
>
> I have been thinking about making a large(r) program for myself and one
> for my brother-in-law's company with it, but after trying around a bit,
> I found there were so many obstacles which scared me away from it I
> decided to stay with good old Gambas and code it here.
>
> In Gambas, I would like to have a very comfortable kind of table like
> the one in VB, but on the other side, if that's for the price of speed
> and ease of code, better not. It shouldn't be as slowly as the VB table.
>
> After all, it's the code behind which makes an application's sense, not
> if it looks stylish. The programs I make are good with a standard GUI
> like the one Gambas offers.
>
> Regards
>
> Rolf

yes i saw some things in VB2010.

.Net with new syntax like
My.System.FileIO.Copy() is a new thing to learn.

i dont know if it is better or not, i did not try it yet.

But simplicity is our best friend.

Also i found documentation very difficult and in order to see how thing
are i had to buy a book from MS.

In Vb2010 i liked the menu editor of forms until now and the database
easyness with gui.